Zone/Area: Santa Clara
The action of derailment, assault and capture of the Armored Train of the Batista tyranny by the troops of the rebel column # 8 "Ciro Redondo" led by Ernesto Che Guevara on December 29th 1958, was one of the most important over the last insurrectionary phase of our era, so on December 29th 1971 was raised a monument to such action in its own historical setting. Years later, on July 13th 1986 it will adopt a new conception of art, being its author the Cuban sculptor Jose Delarra.
The monument is located in an area of 50 m wide by 200 m deep, limited by the railroad and the river Cubanicay in Santa Clara, Villa Clara. Here was the scene of the derailment, assault and capture of the Armored Train of the Batista tyranny.
The complex consists of five sculptures that represent the actions taken by the rebels, as well as four original wagons, the bull-dozer used to build the railroad and a car plate. The Wagons lively in its inside shows pictures of the events, and also belongings of the forces that participated in the contest and the similar weapons captured to the enemy. It was declared a National Monument of the Republic of Cuba on January 30th 1990 with the Loma Capiro, elevation located at the top of the city.
Source: National Council of Cultural Heritage of Cuba